Cleansing and diets
I have avoided any dietary restrictions since my accident to allow my brain to enjoy all the nutrients it has needed, but almost 18 months in I felt my stomach was sluggish & all the carbohydrates & meat were slowing me down. I devised a plan to cleanse for 3 days mid-week for 2 weeks running & ate what I wanted the other 4 days. Here are some things I did during my 3 day cleanse:
- 1 tsp x Spirulina
- 1 tsp x wheatgrass
- magnesium - calcium supplement
- vitamin D supplement
- vitamin E supplement
- vitamin B complex supplement
- 1 tsp x aloe juice
- Fruit smoothie - pick something you enjoy, but I like blueberries & bananas
Vegetable salad containing:
- spinach leaves
- spring onion
- mixed seeds - pumpkin & sunflower
- olive oil & lemon juice
Chop it all up, mix it together & enjoy!
- 1 x onion, chopped
- 2 x courgettes
- 200 g x spinach (frozen)
- 1 x broccoli head, chopped
- 100 g x cavalo nero/ kale/ cabbage
- 1/2 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tsp x za'tar spice mix
- 1 x head broccoli, chopped
- salt & pepper to season
Cook all through together in a pan for 15-20 minutes, then blend until smooth.
Mixed nuts & dried fruits:
- Almonds, walnuts, redskin peanuts, currants, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- walnut, dates & cacoa
- fig & cashews
- apricots & coconut
- celery, carrots, peppers, broccoli
Your brain-fatigue can make this hard, so gentle exercise is preferable.
- Take 20-30 minute gentle paced walks, daily if possible
- 10-15 minutes of tai chi or qi gong daily
- 30 minutes of pilates and restorative yoga over the week
- It is vital to take lots of rest breaks.
- I found up to 5 minute mindfulness/meditation breaks every 30-60 minutes helped me.
- I also took 15-30 minutes yoga nidra breaks (recordings on my phone) in the mid-afternoon would give me a deeper reset than the meditation breaks.
- Make sure you can get some good 'bed hours'. Even if you're struggling with the insomnia relax in your bed for 6-8 hours if possible - try to think of happy thoughts and nice things you enjoy so it is restful.