Aubergine, spinach & lentil curry
Healthy and quite light vegan meal you can have it with or without basmati rice. Coconut oil and turmeric used in curries can make curries super brain friendly if you use the right foods to make the dish.
Time : 30 minutes
Coconut oil and curcumin (turmeric) in this dish help increase brain energy and blood flow, so that your brain is less tired and more able to learn new functions. This 'curry' combination is great for improving cognitive function & should urge you to eat more Indian style curries! The vegetables in this curry have over 500%* Vitamin C thanks to the usual suspects of chillies, tomatoes, coriander and spinach, and over 100% magnesium and manganese mostly thanks to cumin, spinach and lentils. There is also 90% B-6, 30% B-2, a splash (6-8%) of omega 3s and vitamin E with some iron to help fight fatigue thanks to the spinach and cumin. In addition to those symptoms already mentioned this curry will insomnia, depression & anxiety, headaches, confusion, concentration and co-ordination issues; an all round brain winner!
*Percentages are of your Recommended Daily Allowance
1 x aubergine, cubed 3/4 cup x dried red lentils, rinsed 50 g x spinach (frozen or fresh) 2 x red chillies, chopped finely 1 tbsp x tomato puree 4 x tomatoes, diced 2 x onions, finely chopped 1/2 litre x vegetable stock 1/2 tsp x Cumin powder 1 tsp x Coriander powder 1 tsp x Turmeric powder 1 inch x ginger, finely chopped 1 tbsp x coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil in deep pan over medium heat.
- Add onions & spices, garlic & ginger and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add aubergines and mix in, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomato puree & veg stock, & leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adding more water if needed to prevent over drying.
- Serve when cooked through either alone or with boiled basmati rice.