Mackerel (or Ham) & Leek Tart
You can make this with mackerel or ham, depending on your preference. Just substitute the mackerel with ham below - you'll need about 1/2 cup of ham. This is a simple recipe but requires you to watch the oven.
Time : 60 minutes
So the pastry has a bit of saturated (bad) fat in it, making this a bit less healthy. However, the mackerel provides a whopping 220%* B-12, 500% Omega 3s and 120% vitamin D. The eggs and leeks boost the B-6 to 35% and magnesium up to 25% with an added 13% manganese, and 10% for vitamins A and C. This makes this dish amazing for insomnia, memory, concentration & fatigue, but also aids dizziness, headaches & emotional issues like depression & anxiety.
*Percentages are of your Recommended Daily Allowance
1 x sheet short crust pastry rolled out with flour (pre-made helps keep it simple) 3 x eggs, beaten dash of milk (to go with eggs) 2 x medium leeks, chopped small 2 fillets x mackerel (pre-smoked or tinned), chopped into chunks **or 1/2 cup ham 1/2 tbsp x chives, chopped finely Margarine to butter baking dish Salt & pepper to season
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c. Butter baking dish on all sides where pastry will meet the edges.
- Lay pastry out in buttered dish so it is flat & comes up around the edges of the tray. Place an oven-proof dish over the pastry to stop it rising & cook in the oven for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, steam the leeks for 5 mins (you can boil them but then they will probably be too wet for the dish).
- Beat the eggs & milk in a bowl, then add in the broken mackerel with chives into the eggs.
- When the pastry has cooked for 15 mins, take it out of the oven & lay the leeks evenly over the base of the pastry. Pour the egg-mackerel mix over the leeks & spread the mackerel pieces out. Cook for a further 25 mins in the oven.
Enjoy with a salad!