Sweet Potato & Mackerel Daal
Time : 45 minutes
2 x mackerel fillets (smoked or tinned can work fine) 1 x onion, chopped finely 1 inch x ginger, chopped finely 2 x cloves garlic, chopped finely 1-2 tsp x cumin, ground (or powder) 1-2 tsp x coriander powder 500 ml x vegetable stock 1/2 cup x red or yellow lentils 2 x sweet potatoes, chopped into small cubes (can substitute with squash) 1 cup x spinach (frozen or fresh) Pepper to taste 1 tbsp x olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan, add the onion & garlic and cook for 2-3 mins until softened.
- Add the sweet potato (or squash), coriander, cumin & ginger and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Stir in the stock, bring to the boil and add the lentils.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender and the stock is absorbed. Add a little more stock if necessary throughout. Season with sea salt and black pepper and add the spinach, heat for 1 minute (allow 10 mins if frozen spinach).
- FRESH Mackerel - Heat the 1 tsp of oil in a large frying pan, place the mackerel fillets skin-side down in the pan and cook for 4-5 mins until the skin is crisp. Turn over, season with black pepper and cook for a further 4-5 mins until just beginning to flake.
- TINNED or Smoked Mackerel - chop into chunks and add to lentil pan for 1 minute to heat through.