Crustless Tofu Quiches
Light, vegan & brain healthy. This dish a bit of a challenge but super tasty if you can manage the multi-tasking of the pan, processor & oven. You can omit the herbs, but it won't taste so full of life. I made this to go with the Broccoli, Green Bean & Cherry Tomato salad.
Time : 50-60 minutes (depends on your oven)
Tasty and compact these quiches pack 100%* manganese, 50% omega 3s, over 100% vitamin C and over 25% magnesium and vitamins D, B-2 and B-12. There is a touch (15%) of B-6 and some added iron & copper in the tofu to help with fatigue and the turmeric helps memory. These parcels help depression & anxiety, but also fatigue, dizziness and insomnia.
*Percentages are of your Daily Recommended Allowance
1/2 tbsp x olive oil 1 tsp x garlic, minced 1/2 cup x bell pepper, chopped 1 cup x mushrooms, chopped 1 tsp fresh chives (or one green onion), minced 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp. dried, crushed) black pepper to taste
350 g x firm silken tofu, drained of water 1/4 cup x plain soya milk 2 tbsp x nutritional yeast (check the date hasn't expired) 1 tbsp x cornstarch 1 tsp x tahini (preferred) or cashew butter 1/4 tsp x onion powder (can omit if you have none) 1/4 tsp x turmeric powder 1/2-3/4 tsp x salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C. Grease muffin cups/tray with butter or non-stick spay.
- In frying pan heat oil over moderate heat & sauté the garlic, bell peppers, and mushrooms over medium heat until the mushrooms just begin to exude their juices.
- Stir in the chives, rosemary, and freshly ground black pepper, and remove from the heat.
- Place the tofu, soya milk, yeast, tahini, onion powder, turmeric & cornstarch into a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth and silky.
- Add the tofu mixture to the vegetables and stir to combine. Spoon equally into the muffin cups: it will fill regular muffin cups about halfway.
- Put the muffin pan into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 175°C. Bake for about 25-35 minutes depending on your oven, until the tops are golden and a knife inserted into the middle of a quiche comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.