Tofu, Kale & Avocado Salad
For the next 2 weeks I am doing a course, so I need some packed lunches to feed my brain!
Time : 35 minutes
With over 100%* vitamin A and iron, these both help haemoglobin that carries oxygen around the body including the brain meaning that you feel more alert and less fatigued. The 100% magnesium supported by 25% omega 3s supports memory and with the 200% vitamin C aids depression and anxiety problems. With 100% manganese this salad will also help co-ordination and dizziness issues. Further, there is Q-10 that with the magnesium really helps preventing headaches and the 95% calcium will aid absorption of vitamin D and provide ions for brain function in physical activity.
*Percentages are of your Recommended Daily Allowance
Serves 4 (or 2 big lunches)
2 x avocados, cubed without skin 325 g x silken tofu, drained & cubed 1 tsp x sesame oil 2 tsp x sesame seeds 1/2 x lemon, juice 1 x spring onion, chopped 200 g x kale, rinsed 1 tsp x salt Pepper to season
- Boil brown rice for 30 minutes until soft. Make sure that there is plenty of water in the pan so it does not dry out and burn (today's lesson for me)!
- Meanwhile, break kale into smaller chunks and steam it for 15 minutes.
- Whilst the rice and kale are cooking, if you haven't chopped the other ingredients then chop them into large cubes and mix all together in a big salad bowl (avocados, tofu, spring onion, sesame seeds, sesame oil & lemon juice).
- When the kale is cooked drain it off & chop off the spines of the leaves, and then cut the leaves into smaller slices.
- Add the rice when it is cooked and mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.